A simple and light chicken curry which was cooked and relished with the Chahao Plain Pulao . For those of you who prefer a light and healthy chicken curry this recipe is perfect.
Have a look at the ingredients and method of cooking this easy yet tasty chicken curry.
Recipe for Chicken Curry
1 Kg Chicken, clean, wash
3 medium size Potatoes, cut into 4 equal size cubes
4 medium size or 2 large size Onions, thinly sliced
16-17 small Garlic Cloves
1/2 inch Ginger
2 small Tej Patta leaves
1/2 tsp Saunf/Fennel seed
9-10 Elaichi, soaked in water
1/2 inch Dalchini/Cinnamon stick, soaked in water
1 Tbsp Turmeric powder
1 Tbsp Red Chilli powder
1/2 Tbsp Dhania/Coriander powder
2 Tbsp Mustard or Vegetable oil
Salt to taste
1 cup Water
1. Heat oil in a khaang or non-stick pan and fry the potato cubes till light brown. Remove and keep aside.
2. Pound the elaichi and dalchini or grind coarsely. (When using a grinder, do not grind for more than 5-6 seconds)
3. Heat oil in the same khaang or pan on a medium flame, turn off the gas and put the saunf and tejpatta leaves.
4. Pound or grind the garlic cloves and ginger to a paste.
5. Add onion slices to the pan and fry till lightly brown on a medium flame.
6. Add the chicken pieces, turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder, salt. Stir in well. Cover and cook on a low flame.
7. Once the chicken starts releasing water give in a good stir slowly. Cover and cook again on low flame.
8. Once the gravy thickens add the fried potato, coarsely ground elaichi and dalchini, mix slowly. Add 1/3rd of the water. Cover and continue cooking on a very low flame.
9. Repeat adding the remaining water in 1/3rd part two more times. Stir slowly so as not to break the chicken pieces.
10. Once the gravy reaches the desired consistency or thickness turn off the flame. Remove and serve hot with steaming rice, phulkas, paratha.
Happy cooking and bon appetit!